Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dave Brubeck Quartet

So I went to Denton this weekend to see the Dave Brubeck Quartet at UNT. I've been a pretty big jazz fan for about a year now, so as soon as a friend told me that they were playing within driving distance, I immediately got online and bought a ticket. I ended up getting a seat about 10 feet from the stage, which was really cool, as it's the closest I've ever been at a concert.

Anyway, the band came on and I wasn't sure what to expect. Dave Brubeck has been touring since the 1950s, and he's almost 90 years old. I mean, he's a freaking WWII veteran. So what did I get? Probably the best concert I've ever been to. The music was fantastic, the band was really in sync with one another, and overall they seemed to just be having a good time playing jazz standards and old favorites. Brubeck may be almost 90, but when he sat down at the piano, he had the energy, vitality, and skill of a much younger player. Brubeck himself didn't really take center stage, which isn't unexpected if you know anything about his music. The saxophone player was incredible, and also played the flute just as well as he did the sax, which was impressive. Overall, it was a great concert and I highly recommend seeing Dave Brubeck if you get the chance. Here is a clip of his current trio playing a classic jazz standard, Someday My Prince Will Come. This is the band lineup we saw, although the sax player is absent in this video. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Diana Davis said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I am soooo jealous and wish I could have been there!! I guess I will just have to wait for the Denton Arts and Jazz Fest to get my jazz fix...