Friday, March 20, 2009

I'M POOPING! and other unnecessary information

So I've been hearing a lot about Twitter lately. The folks at the law school have jumped on the Twitter bandwagon (@BaylorLawSchool if you're interested), and many of my fellow students have also gotten on board recently. I think there are 2 reasons for this. First, Facebook shit the bed when it changed the layout recently, and people aren't happy with it. So, they're looking for something new and different that they can invest their time in that maybe won't arbitrarily change for the worse every so often (good luck with that). Second, one of the newest features of the Facebook update is its status interface, which everyone is complaining looks a lot like Twitter. So I think a lot of people are going to Twitter because it's new and different, and because they want to see what all the fuss is about. Those are my theories anyway.

So why haven't I gotten on Twitter? Mostly, because I find it unnecessary. Facebook offers the same status update feature (which isn't really all that great to begin with), and a whole lot more, plus I already have a well-established profile there, whereas if I added a Twitter account I would have to learn everything anew, plus add new friends, etc. It's just such an unneeded hassle. Also, I don't really care about people's status updates, so signing up for a service devoted entirely to that seems pretty pointless. This is not to say that I'll never join Twitter, but I feel like it's a passing fad and that soon enough people will realize that information overload isn't always a good thing, and it will go the way of Myspace, Friendster, etc. We'll see.

@justint

3 comments:

Nathan said...

The status updates don't do much for me either. I joined for the ability to send direct messages between instant messenger clients and cellphones. Twitter eliminated that feature shortly after I joined.

Diana Davis said...

Why not have the best of both worlds and have twitter update your facebook status? Then you could follow Shaq and Tina Fey & enjoy the establishment.

Justin T. said...

I already got in trouble for following Tina Fey once; I don't want to open that whole can of worms all over again.