Sunday, May 10, 2009

Moose Poop and So Forth

So, I've survived the weekend so far, so I thought I'd update while I have the chance since tomorrow is my first day at work and I have no idea what I'm in for after that.

  • I got a bicycle to be able to get myself around until the other guys get here, and possibly after that. While it can be a little intimidating sharing the road with giant cars and wayward moose (I saw 4 of them yesterday alone), I've found it's nice to be out and about on a bicycle, something I haven't done since my days at UNT.
  • I found out that Alaska's constitution has a privacy clause in it which the State Supreme Court has interpreted as giving Alaskans the right to use marijuana in the privacy of their own homes. Ravin v. State, 537 P.2d 494 (Alaska 1975). Interestingly enough, the voters even tried to overrule this by voting to recriminalize it in 1990, and the Supreme Court struck that down as unconstitutional. Looks like Alaskans are keeping their pot for the foreseeable future.
  • The sun seriously never sets here. I stayed up until 10:40 last night hoping to see it get dark, and it was still light out when I gave up and went to bed. Wtf?
  • I am continuing to update my picture gallery, so if you want to see the latest pictures, you can check out the album here.
  • There is a ton of moose poop in the woods right behind our apartment. I am curious to see whether a moose ever shows up.
Well, that's all I can think of for now. I'll update more after work tomorrow, and more regularly once I get internet access at the apartment.

2 comments:

Cort said...

I had a friend that stayed a summer there... It didn't get dark. He was an insomniac, too. It doesn't get much worse than that.

La Wrangler said...

That sounds nice, why would you complain about that? You now have 24 usable hours in the day! :)