Sunday, November 15, 2009

Review #1: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

I have been waiting anxiously for the last couple of months since I found out that Nintendo was releasing a new Mario game for the Wii. I have always been a fan of the Mario games and the trailers for the game (see below) were really cool and made the game look super fun. So this morning, the gf and I picked it up at Walmart and spent the better part of the day playing it.



So what do I think? So far, the game is incredible. We played multiplayer, which is a new feature that hasn't been available for previous Mario sidescrollers. The gameplay is a throwback to the older Mario games, combining elements from all 3 originals, as well as Super Mario World for the SNES and the Mario games for the DS. The multiplayer was really well done as well, allowing players to cooperate, play independently, and even harm each other if you can't stay out of the way. The multiplayer sort of reminded me of Super Smash Bros. Melee, which was also a great game even though I suck at it. We only played through 3 levels, but I was really impressed with everything I saw and the game remains very challenging and even downright difficult in parts despite the appearance of being easy at first glance. I can't wait to play the rest of the game, on multiplayer and single player modes, and I will report back with more comments when I get a chance to play more over Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Justin T. said...

It's worse than comic shenanigans but not as bad as comic tomfoolery.