Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cook Like A Baller: Prime Rib

Welcome to the first installment in what I hope becomes a regular series on my blog, Cook Like A Baller. I cook just about every night and over the years and through MUCH trial and error, I have developed some recipes that I can always rely on to provide a tasty, (usually) nutritious meal. I think the idea of "secret" recipes is stupid, so I decided to share some of my cooking knowledge with the world. If it's good enough for me to put my time and effort into, I guarantee you it's good enough for you to shove in your fat gaping McDonald's-loving crawhole.

So I decided to start with a classic holiday dish that can be prepared for special occasions like Christmas, Hanukkah, Tuesdays, or getting a sweet parking spot at Wal-mart-- PRIME RIB. I picked up a 7.5 lb prime rib roast from my local Safeway grocer for approximately $24, a great deal and a good excuse to indulge my taste buds as a holiday treat. My prime rib looked like this:

For starters, I trimmed off any fat more than about 3/4 inch thick until it was a uniform thickness throughout. Then I let it sit out covered with plastic for about 45 minutes until it reached room temperature. Then its time to season that shit. I made a paste of about 10 cloves of garlic, minced, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp coarse kosher salt, 2 tsp coarse ground black pepper, and 2 tsp of dried thyme. Put all the ingredients in the bowl, mix thoroughly until it's a uniform consistency, and you can even use a mortal and pestle to make it into more of a paste if you want to, though I didn't this time in the interest of saving time. Rub the mixture on the fat side of the prime rib and place in your roasting pan bone-side down.

Once you've got it all marinaded up, cover it with plastic again and let it sit for another 30-45 minutes while your oven preheats. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celcius). Place a meat thermometer in the middle of the prime rib, making sure it's not touching bone.  Take the plastic off (this should go without saying) and roast the prime rib roast at 450 for 20 minutes, then turn the heat down to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (160 degrees Celcius) and roast for another hour and a half or so. For medium rare, you want to cook it about 14-15 minutes per lb. This was a 7.4 lb rib roast, so I cooked it for 1 hr and 45 minutes at 325. I added about 3/4 a cup of beef broth about an hour into cooking as it mixed with the juices of the prime rib to make a really delicious au jus sauce that can be saved and used for days.

 During this time I also cooked a baked potato, coated with a thin layer of olive oil and rubbed with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper. It cooked at 425 Fahrenheit (220 Celcius) for 1 hour, unwrapped. I don't wrap my baked potatoes in foil because I find that the olive oil and salt draw the moisture out of the inside of the potato and allow it to be released, so the inside of the potato ends up nice and dry and fluffy while the outside skin ends up delicious and crispy. Wrapping it with foil seems to inhibit this process so I just skip it. Different strokes for different folks.

Anyway, once your prime rib has roasted for the appropriate amount of time, take it out of the oven, cover the pan with foil, and let it sit and rest for about 20 minutes. This allows all the juices to reabsorb into the meat so your roast stays juicy when you cut it. After 20 minutes have passed, cut your rib roast and dig into that shit like the world was ending tomorrow. It should look something like this (notice I scorched the garlic, so I probably could've used a lower heat initially, but it still infuses a nice garlic flavor into the meat and is delicious).
Cut it open and make sure it's to the right temperature that you wanted. I like mine on the rare side of medium rare, and it turned out pretty perfectly in that regard.
Here is a picture of the final product, cut and ready to eat on the plate with a hot baked potato loaded with butter, shredded cheddar cheese, jalapenos and chopped garlic.
If you ever find yourself gazing down upon a feast such as this, thank your god, for you have been blessed.

2 comments:

Mark Bennett said...

I cook mine about the same way; I got the recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's The River Cottage Meat Book. I season the ends as well as the fat; I love the crusty bits.

I also let it come up to room temp a lot longer than you do: I'd be surprised if your roast is room-temperature after 90 minutes out of the fridge unless your room is fridge-temperature.

Also, on the advice of Ruhlman's Twenty I salt my meat when I bring it home, even days before cooking.

Justin T. said...

Interesting. I will definitely leave the roast out for longer next time, because I think you're right, there is no way it could reach room temperature in 45 minutes. I've read that salt breaks down proteins in the meat so you shouldn't salt it until right before you are going to cook it, but I've tried it both ways and I honestly can't tell a difference so I think next time I'll try salting it a day or two in advance. Thanks for the tip!