Friday, March 30, 2012

Holy shit look at all this art!

I don't think I've ever really considered myself an "artist." Nevertheless, I've dabbled in quite a few different artistic media over the years, with varying success. Most recently I've taken up sculpting and oil painting, but I've been creating random pieces of what some could possibly call art, be it doodles, drawings, carvings, paintings, whatever for a long time. I figured I would post a few examples of my work in the various different media I've experimented with. Here are some of the things I've done (you can click on any of the pictures to see a bigger version):


Oil painting

I ran out of white paint so I haven't finished the bushes in the bottom corner yet.


Watercolor
Pencil
Note: This is a picture of my friend Socrates, not the ancient Greek.

Dad watching golf.


Pen
Random cartoon sketch practice

Clay Sculpture


Octopus vulgaris. (This guy is currently mounted on my dashboard)
"tortuga" - this will make a lot more sense if you watch Breaking Bad
One night I dreamt I had a brain tumor, and the next day I made this. 
I call it "Wasteland" after a TS Eliot poem I like.
"And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, And the dry stone no sound of water. 
Only There is shadow under this red rock." -T.S. Eliot, "The Waste Land," 1922
(more pictures here)
Flying Spaghetti Monster!


Photography


From the covered bridge near Milford, NH
Shot of the bridge, finished in Photoshop

At my parents' place, where I grew up

Kachemak Bay, Alaska

My friend Scott fishing in Sadie Cove, Alaska


Pumpkin
Professor Larry T. Bates, Baylor Law School
My old boss, U.S. Rep. Paul Hodes, NH-02
President Obama


Well, that's a basic portfolio of some of my artistic endeavors over the last few years. Clearly I am not a professional and have no formal training in anything art-related, but for an amateur who dabbles in his free time, I think some of them aren't half bad. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Justin, this is Perry. This stuff is awesome. If you were ever interested in selling dome of your work, I would be interested. You may not be an "artist" but you seem to know your way around art.