Monday, March 12, 2012

Welcome to Anchorage, Alaska! (Redux)

Some of you might have noticed that I haven't been writing as much here as I was before. This is due in part to the fact that I had to take some time to study for the Alaska bar exam, a notorious beast that defeated more than 50% of the people who took it the last round, myself included. Sigh. But, now that Bar Exam 2: Electric Boogaloo is over and done with, I finally have time to write regularly again.

I realized that when I was first contemplating moving to Alaska, I was frustrated by the lack of information about living here. I found a few blogs, but most of them weren't exactly a good fit-- either they blogged about their personal lives and Alaska was just sort of incidental,, or they were real estate-based blogs designed to sell you on how great it is to live in Alaska, or they blogged about life in Alaska but they live in a more rural community where things aren't the same as they are in Anchorage. So I decided I would start blogging more about life in Anchorage, from the mundane (like restaurant and local business reviews) to the more interesting (like Anchorage's unique winter and wildlife situations), to anything else that sparks my interest enough to write about. I will refrain from blogging about the legal community, because that's just a bad idea waiting to unravel before my eyes, though it's tempting. I will say that on the whole I find the legal community in Anchorage to be competent, professional, and easy to work with, which is more than I can say for the legal community in other places I've worked. But I digress. The point is, I'm going to try to blog more about living in Anchorage from an outsider's perspective, with the hopes that people who are thinking about moving to Alaska will find it and hopefully it will help them make a more informed decision.

So, what do you want to hear about first?
This doofus has been hanging out in my back yard all weekend, ruining my trees. .

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

At least one inquiring mind wants a review about the Thai House Restaurant...

Kylea Liese said...

I would love more info on what you're seeing as an Alaskan newbie. It looks like I'm taking a job and moving up there from the east coast in a few months. Here's a specific question, if you don't mind: Is it better to drive a car up or buy one there? My car's an oldie but goodie with 200K miles and 4WD, but I've been told the Al-Can hwy is pancreatic cancer of the car and also that used cars might be cheaper than expected in anchorage. What do you think?

Walter Stevens said...

I'm thinking about buying a car stereo in Anchorage next weekend actually. Then I can hear the music, if you know what I mean?